Monday, March 12, 2007

The Kissing Disease?!?

So this morning I wake up with an even higher fever, dehydrated, and in amazing pain. My throat was so swollen up that swallowing not only hurt my throat but it hurt my ears! I called in sick and dragged my ass to the docs office.

They are masters of the obvious. They let me know I had a fever, my throat was swollen, and that my ears were also very red and irritated inside. If talking did not hurt so much I would have said "duh!". Then they did a test for strep and poked at me some more.

The good news is I do not have strep. The bad news is they can not pin point exactly what I have but gave me the two most likely illness's I have. The one is some kind of bacterial thing. The other made me laugh.

Get this, I am told I have all the symptoms of the popular disease of high school and college students. Most people know it as mono. Yup folks, I am a 36 year old married woman who might have the "kissing disease".

They sent me out the door with a prescription for a z-pac, gargle salt water, and take any OTC fever fighter. If this is mono then the z-pac will not do me any good. Since I am feeling a bit better I suspect this is not mono. It still cracks me up that they thought I might have it. The doc said it takes days for a mono test to pop positive so we would not be able to tell for sure for a bit. If the z-pac makes me better than it is not mono. Way to go carpet bomb system!

No comments: