So my big goal these days is to be more politically correct, human resources friendly, and to play the game. I am getting more and more exposure to other departments and their management. I am getting more and more responsibility that involves other people. I suppose it is time I grow up and learn to play the game of office politics.
It sucks, it is not me at all. I never thought this would happen to me, but it has, and here I sit.
I think it is annoying. I go to work and put on Emmy award winning shows. I am convincing. Every day I come home and watch Emmy award winning actors who are not convincing. How is it they get the Emmy and the big pay check?
I suppose this is necessary to climb the corporate ladder of success. I am 34 years old. Shouldn't I have already gotten up the ladder of success? Just what defines you as a success? Am I just a late bloomer? I like everything I have just the way it is. Except for my paycheck. I miss the old 3Com paycheck. I am still making 10K less a year than I was back then. That 10K sure would be useful.
I know, I know, my life could be much worse. I could be in Afghanistan or Iraq getting paid seriously low wages, getting shot at, trying to avoid IED's, and all around just plain uncomfortable. I could have a flattened, flooded home in New Orleans or the Gulf Coast and wondering what I was going to do. I know I have a good life and I really have no right to complain but hey, it's what I do best.
The bug assassin came. He is my hero. I have not seen a single creepy, crawly since he was here. No more bugs!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Julz,
i used to be hilarious. I worked out at a gym daily, I rode mountain bikes, I watched Beavis & Butthead, I knew tons of poop jokes, i flirted with female clients, I went to rock shows, I owned my house, and was making about $40k/yr in Austin.
I had everything but the girl.
Then I married this woman, she convinced me to get a BETTER job, move to her house, work harder, stop making jokes, etc. I became dull. I was correct. I did not try to have relations with my female customers, etc. I could explain escrow, I was a middle aged man. I was boring as hell.
So I got divorced. It was not working. And I have moved to the middle. I make stupid jokes every so often, I have some fun, but I can also put on the face, go to work, and try to shuffle around in corporate america.
growing up isn't bad. acting the part at work is not bad. You want that extra $10k??? guess what? the boom days are gone. If you want that extra money, ya gotta work for it. Become a team leader. start thinking about managing folks who do what you do. Advance. And yeah, that means ya gotta play the corporate role.
Then you get the extra moolah, and go racin again. The weekends are when you can make poop jokes, call people jackasses, get likkered up and barf on people.
but ya gotta play the game some. I think if you do, you could advance a lot faster than you think. Believe in yourself, you are wonderful
if ya don't believe me, ask Mark.
Hi Julz, be you. I know it's a bitch playing the big city game & all, but those of us here in the sticks are proud as hell about how well you've done for yourself. Don't let it get you down, you make a ton more than us slobs back here. Oh yeah, and what Charles said, you are wonderful. You don't really even need to ask Mark. You just need to be reminded once in a while. Love ya, your "brother" Mark.
Post a Comment