Sunday, January 15, 2006

I want my old butt back

Last August I was looking at my wedding pictures and I almost cried. I looked great. I also was bigger than I have been in my entire life. Decisions were made and deadlines were set.

Goal number 1: Quit smoking
So far so good. I had my last smoke on September 11, 2005 and have not had one since. The smell used to make me want one but now it makes me nauseous. I figure that's a pretty good sign that I won't be smoking anymore. I can not ever remember the smell of cigarettes making me sick before.

Goal number 2A: Get left leg & knee back to pre-injury strength
I joined the 24 Hour Fitness up the street over the Christmas holiday and have been going a minimum of twice a week. I try to go four times but I set two as my minimum acceptable. I get a group rate discount because I work for Genentech. There is a Club One across the street from the office that Genentech pays the full tab for. In addition to the 24 Hour Fitness routine I go to the Club One and read a book while I take an easy walk on the treadmill for lunch.

Goal number 2B: Drop 50 pounds and shape up by July 20
Already dropped five pounds. Only 45 more to go! I am going to be a hottie by my one year wedding anniversary trip to MotoGP.

Goal number 3: Eat more vegetables
I am a total carnivore. I am now trying to increase my vegetable intake and to branch out in my variety of vegetables. I am trying to eat them without covering them up in sauces and dressings. I am learning how to use spices and such. It is no picnic. I have said it before and I will say it again. Vegetables are NOT food. They are what food eats. I could happily live my life on the kill it and grill it diet. I am having a harder time with this goal but I am not giving up. There has got to be a good way to hide vegetables in meat dishes.

I figure that is plenty for me to concentrate on. I might add more in a couple of months if these continue to go well. I over did it with my upper body work out yesterday and now my right bicep is killing me. So I will be sticking to lower body stuff for a few days and taking some extra time in the steam room. I still went back today and did a good cardio for 30 minutes and another 30 minutes doing some leg work.

Tuesday will be my first meeting with the TIM 2.0 project team at work. It is the first time I have ever been involved in a project. It is a great opportunity to get myself known outside of my group. I hope that the project will give me a chance to make a significant contribution with decent visibility. I want to move out of the Service Desk by the end of this year into a nice junior position in the Applications Admin group.

I have been making quite a few baby quilts. It is the time of year everyone seems to be having babies again. It seems to always coincide with that time of the year I am explaining to people why I am not about to have any kids of my own. Why is it that people assume that you must breed because you came equipped with a womb?

Not much else going on.

No comments: