Saturday, February 28, 2004

Genentech, Inc.

So I guess you're all wondering how the interview went. One word, bizarre. It's the first time in my life I had a great time. Genentech has really come up with an amazing and fun way to evaluate potential employee's.

There were about 15 of us there hoping to fill one of three open positions. They broke us up into three groups and put an observer at each table. There were also wandering observers and the moderator of the group interview observing us. It was kind of weird knowing that evrything you say and do was being analyzed. Not knowing exactly what they were looking for made it a bit hard on the nerves though.

We were given several types of tasks that we had to work on as a group and then one person would present to the class. Kinda like school, but with higher stakes. Six of us will be notified sometime near the end of next week that we made it to round two. So if I make it to round two, I have a 50/50 chance of making it in.

I think I did well with the group exercises. I don't think I did so well on the written part. We were given a packet containing five essay questions and three semi-mathmatical questions. I am sure I blew the math part. I spent an hour on those things and finally just gave it my best educated guess.

At the end of it all they fed us pizza and soda pops. Never had an interview where they fed you at the end, or at all. Even if it was five hours or more.

So, I am not holding out hope for anything. I am in no shape to deal with getting my hopes up and having it all go down the toilet again. It sure would be nice though. It is one heck of a great company to work for.

No comments: